Check out this quick and easy recipe for roasted asparagus:
1 bunch of fresh asparagus
Loads of olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
1. Preheat oven to 445.
2. Trim and cut off bottom tips of asparagus to your hearts desire.
3. Add Salt, Pepper, Rosemary and Red Pepper Flakes along with loads of Olive oil and toss.
4. Place on baking pan/baking sheet and bake 15-25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and add more seasonings.
Yeah Yeah!! I know that the title is long and somewhat of a run on sentence BUT it is worthy of the run on. It has been under 20 degrees in my city and judging from the chill in the air, it is a perfect time to pull out the pots, pans and bowls.
Check out this amazingly quick and easily recipe for Turkey Chili which is sure to cause you to go back for seconds and thirds.
Half of a yellow onion chopped and diced
Half of a bell pepper chopped and diced
1 whole jalapeño pepper chopped and diced
1 lb of ground turkey
15 oz. can of black beans
15 oz. can of chili beans
15 oz. can of kidney beans
15 oz. can of salsa verde
Handful of cumin seeds
1. Saute Onion, Bell Peppers, Jalapeño and cumin seeds in 2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Add ground turkey and cook thoroughly.
3. Add rinsed can of black and kidney beans along with chili beans.
4. Add can of salsa verde and bring to boil.
5. Cook on medium to semi high heat until your desired thickness.
6. Salt and Pepper to taste.
INSTRUCTIONS ON BROWN RICE:
1. Be sure and select 10 minute brown rice along with rainbow quinoa and bring to boil.
2. Lower heat and simmer until ready.
Nevertheless, check out this simple, flavorful and healthy dish that I like to call "CRACKED CHICKEN" and make no mistake - It is INSANELY good stuff. There is a catch to the type of chicken to use though.
Wait For It! Wait For It!
That's correct - Find you some hearty and healthy leg quarters or half of an whole chicken and prep them for that hot oven.
2 -3 Whole Leg Quarters or Half of a Chicken
Loads of fresh chopped garlic
Lemon Pepper Seasonings *Mrs. Dash works wonders*
Handful of fresh Rosemary
Handful of Italian Seasoning
4-5 Whole Red Potatoes *You can Substitute with regular potatoes as well*
1. Preheat Oven to 450 Degrees *Don't Freak out - It's gonna work wonders*
2. Heavily coat chicken with garlic, Cajun Seasoning, Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Rosemary, Italian Seasoning and Olive Oil.
3. In a large skillet, lock in the seasoning by searing the chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes per side.
4. As chicken is in the skillet, prep your potatoes by tossing them in loads of fresh garlic, rosemary, Cajun and lemon seasonings and then place them in full sized baking dish.
5. Remove chicken from skillet and place in baking dish on top of red potatoes and proceed to the oven for 40 - 45 minutes. It is imperative to not overcook your chicken but you do want a nice coat on the skin side.
6. Be sure to watch your chicken and upon seeing the skin began to crack, you will note that it is close to being done.
I hit the streets this past Sunday and snapped up some good and healthy items for my home. Items such as: Kale, Broccoli and the ever popular snap peas are always your friend and might I add, there are oh so many ways to prepare them. Any doctor will tell you that all green vegetables are good for you and promotes healthy habits.
I checked my receipt and I spent under $10 on all these items. Next time you hit the market, be sure and fill up on the green.
Remember: FILL UP!
Here I am jamming Chaka Khan's greatest hits and I almost forgot to share my recipe for my "Put It In The Bag Chicken". Now please believe that I am no rapper but I know how to cook some of my favorite dishes and share it all. This particular recipe is super healthy, the clean up is easy and it's not dry or too greasy - It's Just Enough!
Enough of my rambling, check out this awesome recipe that I paired with an amazing bed of lemon cumin brown rice. It only takes about an hour to prepare and before you know it, you will be in heaven.
1 Whole Chicken Cut *Organic will work as well*
2 Culinary Parchment Bags
I Half of Lemon *Sliced*
1 Carrot - *Chopped*
1 Half of Red Bell Pepper *Sliced*
1 Half of Green Red Pepper *Sliced*
3 Pinches of Cumin Seeds
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning
1. Pre heat oven to 435 degrees
2. Toss chicken, lemon slices, carrot, bell peppers, cumin seeds, olive oil, salt & pepper and cajun seasoning in bowl until there is an amazing fragrance coming from your bowl.
3. Place 2 - 3 pieces of chicken in each bag and fold parchment bag under securely.
4. Bake in oven for 45 mins or until desired.
5. Serve over desired rice.
I believe this food blog thing is evolving and I am kind of excited about it. Being a guy who is always on the go, I really only have time to get home, prep dinner, blog and do the grown up things that a married man does.
I did however manage to whip up some healthy options such as my extra good HOT BROCOLLI. Being from Louisiana, anything spicy is all my taste buds desire. I will put hot seasonings on almost anything and this broccoli is no different.
It's easy, quick and will impress the family and being that it is good for you - You can not lose. There are 20 different ways to kick this healthy green thing up a notch so have at it.
*Side View of my Bowl*
1 to 2 Heads of Fresh Broccoli. *Non Frozen*
1 1/2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Handful of Cilantro
Fresh Diced Garlic
Half Diced Jalapeño or Poblano Pepper
Half of Lemon
Salt and Pepper
2 1/2 Parmesan Cheese
Red Pepper Flakes *Optional*
Pre Heat oven to 450
Wash Broccoli thoroughly
Toss Broccoli with olive oil, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, salt and pepper and spread out on baking dish.
Roast for 15-18 minutes. *It's up to you how long you desire*
Remove from oven and toss with parmesan, lemon juice and/or red pepper flakes.
Lately I have been throwing caution to the wind and taking on preparing dishes that I never would have EVER thought of doing. From the ever so simple Turkey Meatloaf, which I must say was INSANELY good, to bigger dishes such as homemade healthy pizzas, my go to item aka Kale and now - The unbelievably goodness called - PHO.
I got my first taste of Pho ages ago and have been hooked ever since. The only downside is that it can be a bit high on the sodium scale. There are tons of different ways of preparing it and I am gonna give you my version. Now please believe and take note - I am NO Food Network Star but a brother can burn in that kitchen.
I got a taste for it this evening and beckoned for the wife to accompany me to the local spot we frequent - Kroger- and before we both knew it, I was in front of the stove dancing to the smells coming out of my trusted pot.
I put a healthy spin on it cause you I wanna maintain the healthy lifestyle I am accustomed to. I do want to caution you that using whole wheat noodles is gonna be a failure BUT no fear, you can use rice or regular angel hair pasta as well.
Check it out:
2 Equal Sized Chicken Breast *Perfect for Grilling*
32 Oz box of Turkey Stock *You can use whatever you desire - Chicken, Beef*
2 Cups of Water
1/2 Chopped Onion
1/2 Chopped Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Carrot
Hand full of Cumin Seeds *Optional*
1/2 of Chopped Green Onion
1/2 of Chopped Fresh Cilantro
1 Diced Jalapeno Pepper
2 Thumb Sized amounts of fresh ginger
Soy Sauce *Fish Sauce is Optional but salty - Watch Out*
1. Grill Chicken and set aside but be sure to keep warm.
2. Bring to boil in your trusted pot: Turkey Stock, Onion, Bell pepper, Green Onion, Carrot and light soy sauce.
3. At the same time of boiling your vegetables, prepare your noodles according to your desired time.
4. Chopped/Slice chicken breast and add to pot along with cumin seeds, Ginger, cilantro, lime juice and slices of jalapeno pepper.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Add noodles and broth to bowl and be in heaven. Also, many people add mint leaves, mushrooms, various vegetables.
*Oh So Good*